Let's get started with the backpack. I assume this is a power source...at least that's what I am saying it is for this project. And can also be used to mount auxiliary weapons, using a universal mount.
The weapon mounts are a mix of bits from the spares. The bases are wheel hubs from an old US Halftrack. The arms and weapon bases are extra suspension parts from a Trumpy E-25. I would have liked to of been able to get them to fold away, but they never would work like I wanted. There's some misc. bits there for detail...centers from Panzer IV wheels and extra return rollers from a Mirage Vickers tank.
I have seen some of these kits offer rocket pods. And the Mechwarior geek in me wants over the shoulder rocket pods. I went with rocket pods. I tried scratching up a few but didn't like how they looked. I cheated and borrowed a pair from the spares...they were originally intended for a Panda Huey. I think they are undersized but they will work for now.
I also added lift points to the rocket pods and backpack. I added some stretched sprue down the rocket pod sides just for added detail. The antenna is from the spares. And there's some X panel covers added to give some detail.
I wanted to add some extra offensive firepower. As is, the kit weaponry was limited to the nebelwerfer looking deal and a claw...which I decided to remove. I had added the pulse lasers to the hand-side arm for close-in defense. I figured it needed something for medium range and air defense.
I had a cannon pod for a Tamiya Marder IFV and it mounted directly in one of the mount holes for the claw. I used a length of zip-tie for the armored ammo belt. I had the ammo be stored in the arm drum. I added strip styrene to help diffentiate between the ammo compartment and the nebelwerfer looking thing. Sorry about the picture quality.
Backpack and cannon pod mounted.
I decided to re-address the pulse lasers on the other arm. I removed the center barrel. I added cables to the sides (stretched and formed sprue) to help show these were energy weapons.
I had removed the armor plate hat covered part of the foot. They were hinged and would get caught when I moved the feet. I wanted to add some detail so I found some odd bits in the spares. I put them on the front of the each foot.
All assembled and given a second coat of gray. I like ow the rocket pods change the whole stance of the mech.
Assembly is done so now we finish. I had decided to go overall lightish/medium gray. I gave it a wash to help with details. I then gave it a heavy was for grime. I dry-brushed it with dark gray. Then dry-brushed with Testors Metallic Interior Blue...alien alloy. I also used this for the cannon barrels and ammo belt. I added decals, then another grimey wash.
The decals are a mixture. The kits markings have a lot of stencilling in alien script, so that worked for me. I used some of these for maintenance use on the weapons. I modified some for "shoulder-patches". The BanDai decals were a bit fiesty to work with but were pursuaded to snugging down with a bit of Solvaset.
For the "national insignias" I wanted to use something that would not be mistaken as Terran. I took a pair of markings for the WW2 German 15th Panzer Div. I turned them on their side with the points facing away. At a glance they still look sort of "balkenkruez-ish" so I might add something to modify it a bit more.
Anyway, I think that's mostly all for the mech. I still have to make the pilot and address a few details. If time allows I want to use this in a diorama along with cyborg infantry, female vampy soldiers, signs of a battle (wrecks), and dinner...I mean prisoners. To contrast with the bleakness and brutality of the scene, I want to have several of the female vamps exhibiting their maternal instincts as they dote on a little girl. As they see it, she's a potential recruit.