Building the Mk-1 Ironman
Painting IronmanPainting this kit isn't really that difficult, as long as you plan what your doing, which is a first for me lol.
I started by spraying the kit with Alclad Gloss Black Base as the primer. After letting that dry, I then picked out a few armoured panels in white. This will break up the next coat of paint into different shades.
I sprayed on a lightish coat of Alclad Dull Aluminum, so it just covers the primer. I have found if you spray a too heavy coat, then you will lose any variations in the panel colours.
Next up came the detail painting which I used pics of the full size mock up to help. A few wires which are exposed were painted red and black, and two panels were given a diluted coat of Vallejo yellow. The yellow was diluted enough to cover the panel, but just enough to still get the metal effect underneath. I also painted part of a red triangle on the armoured bum flap. The back upper armour plate is yellow and also has "STARK IND" stenciled on the back. I haven't been brave enough to attempt this, so the stencil has been left off. The body suit under the armour was painted blue, which although isn't particularly correct, does break the overall colour up a bit. The two bottles, one on the arm and one on the back, were painted yellow and black respectively.
The next step involves the "Colour modulation" technique, although I have tweaked it a bit for this figure. I dabbed various panels with Alizarin Crimson (red), Paynes Grey and Yellow Orche oil paints straight out of the tube. I only dab one colour to each panel, as I want each panel to look different.
Now you are probably wondering why I haven't cleared coated this before starting with the oils, well, the plan (and an experiment) was to actually stain each panel, with the oil colour, so I left the clear coat off.
Anyhoo, back to the dabs of oil, taking a brush dipped in white spirits, then wiped so it is only lightly wet, I then proceeded to blend the oil into the panel. After all the oils are blended I let it dry for a few hours.
Now the oils are dry I then get a cotton bud (Q-Tip, I believe they are called in other countries), which is then used to clean the middle of the panels. This has the effect of removing some of the oils, but still leaving a coloured sheen.
Once I was happy with the way the figure looked I then Gloss coated it. Once dry a black wash was applied to the recessed areas.
At this stage I started painting the base. The first coat was Vallejo Sand Yellow, followed by a wash of Burnt Umber, which I carried onto the legs of the figure to blend it into the base.
Back to the figure I dry-brushed some Vallejo Natural Steel over the figure. This really does pop the edges of the armour plates out.
The next part was to brush some MIG pigments Gulf War Sand over the base and feet.
The figure was dull coated and left to dry. Finally a few panels were gloss coated, so the light reflects differently of various panels.
And that's it, done. There are no doubt other ways of painting this figure (and better I should think lol), but this is the way I tackled it.
Copyright ©2019 by Andy Brazier. Images and/or videos also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. The views and opinions expressed herein are solely the views and opinions of the authors and/or contributors to this Web site and do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of ModelGeek, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. Opinions expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of ModelGeek. All rights reserved. Originally published on: 2010-07-23 00:00:00. Unique Reads: 13678